The Butete Minimalist Chain Pendant Necklace In Gold FiligreeRegular price $108.00
Embodying the seas of the Philippine islands, the Butete Necklace features a minimalist gold chain and an intricate gold filigree pendant handcrafted by Filipino artisans.
Botete in Tagalog means 'pufferfish'. Filipino goldsmiths drew inspiration from their natural environment and modelled the Butete Necklace after the Pufferfish, a highly poisonous fish that inflates itself when threatened, revealing pointed spindles. A smaller version of the butete is known as the puriket.
Handcrafted in gold filigree, a meticulous and rare technique perfected by the plateros of Ilocos Sur. Every heirloom carries the proud story of our pre-colonial heritage and of fine Filipino craftsmanship.
The artistry of gold filigree craftsmanship has been practiced by native plateros for centuries. The platero begins by melting blocks of gold or silver, repeatedly hammering and cooling them until they become fine and delicate threads. The threads are carefully shaped by hand into "kalado" or lace-like patterns inspired by nature. To craft more intricate pieces, the platero individually welds small drops together to form beautiful heirlooms.
- Handcrafted by Filipino artisans in Ilocos using the rare art of gold filigree, a pre-Hispanic indigenous technique from the Philippine islands
- Inspired by the botete, the Filipino Pufferfish
- Pendant is pure silver dipped in 24-karat gold pendant
- Length: Adjustable 16"/18" 92.5% sterling silver dipped in 24-karat gold chain
- Normal Size: Pendant diameter is 0.9cm (as seen on model)
- Mini Size: Pendant diameter is 0.6 cm
- Intended as heirloom pieces, colours will tarnish over time to develop a more antique look
- For better preservation, reduce exposure to sweat and perfume and store within an air tight container
- AMAMI is a social enterprise that works to revive endangered Filipino jewelry traditions while empowering and providing local artisans with sustainable livelihoods